These apples were beyond fantastic! I just wish I didn’t already stuff my face with a pint of ice cream the day before because these would have been even better with vanilla ice cream! Next time. Before we go into the apples, I want to talk about post workout nutrition. Post workout, just remember protein AND carbs. Protein will help build and make the muscles stronger and carbs help with the muscle recovery. Remember, not all carbs are bad! Read this post for more about carbs. I recently bought The Paleo Performance cookbook, but I haven’t had much time to dive into the awesome pre and post workout meals/snacks yet. I also came across this article recently on The Paleo Leap with 15 different post work eats and they all are so simple. Score!
So these apples, I got the inspiration from a recipe in a magazine and I decided to make it paleo. They are perfect for a nice warm after dinner dessert! Try them out and let me know what you think!
Baked Cinnamon Apples
- 2 medium to large apples
- 1 1/2 tblsp grass-fed butter or ghee (cold not melted)
- 1 1/2 tblsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Renola of choice (I buy this kind)
- Optional: vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- With a sharp paring knife or melon baller, core the apples to hollow out the middle. Do not go all the way through.
- Place the apples in a baking dish (cast iron skillet, pie tin, casserole dish)
- In a small bowl mash together the butter, coconut sugar and salt
- Fill each apple evenly with the coconut sugar mixture
- Bake 30-40 minutes until tender
- Let rest for 5 minutes, add renola and serve with ice cream!!