Caramel apples are one of those treats that take me back to my childhood. I absolutely loved caramel apples and remember only getting them around Halloween time. I was a no toppings type of kid but now, give me all the toppings! This caramel might not look like the real thing, but it sure taste like the real thing! The coconut sugar in the caramel sauce is what gives it its darker color. Top these bad boys with any topping that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and reminds you of your childhood!
Recently, on Wednesdays I have been trying to give you guys a little “wisdom” from the ole Kiss by Brooke / Weiss household regarding fitness and nutrition. I am changing gears slightly today to give you a little bit of wisdom about happiness. This still pertains to health and fitness, though. How you may ask? Well, the more you pay attention to the food you eat, how many times you are going to the gym, how much sleep you are getting and so on, you start eating better, feeling better, sleeping better, and making better choices. When these things are aligned and part of a well balanced healthy lifestyle, happiness is the outcome.
Life isn’t all sunshine and rainbows over here as much as I wish it was. I have bad days, but recently, they have been few and far inbetween. I have accomplished and have been able to hold onto my happiness because I have started doing more things that make me happy. I know eating nutrient dense whole foods make my body feel good. I know exercising on a regular basis gets me closer to my goals and again, makes me feel good. I know spending quality time with my husband makes me happy even if it is just raking leaves in the yard. I know taking long trail runs with my pup or snuggling on the couch with him brings pure joy to my heart. I know learning and expanding my knowledge in the nutrition and fitness industry is something I am truly passionate about. So you know what, I have been doing more of all of these things and honestly, I don’t know when the last time I was this happy. So, I am going to continue to do these things as often as I can. On my bad days, I reflect on all the good I have in my life and pick something out that I know brings me happiness and I go do it no matter what. My advice or the wisdom I want to pass on to you is to DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. These caramel apples make me pretty dang happy, I think I am going to go make another batch!
Paleo Caramel Apples
- 4 medium sized apples
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (the solid part from the can, not the liquid)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of sea salt
- Optional toppings: crushed walnuts, shredded coconut, enjoy life chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Stir until completely combined.
- Bring caramel sauce to a boil and then let cook for 12 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 more minutes or until the caramel coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and immediately dunk and coat the apples, add the toppings and place on the parchment paper. Place in fridge and let caramel harden for 20-30 minutes.
- Have a happy Halloween!