The countdown is on! We are officially halfway through December and the New Year is creepin its way in. If you haven’t started working on your 2017 plans, well, you are behind. If you want to have a successful year with your goals you need to plan! As cliché as it is, fail to plan plan to fail is one the most truest statements. When January 1st comes you want to be completely ready to start crushing your goals instead of scrambling and feeling overwhelmed.
If you are serious about your goals or new year resolutions you will take the time to plan. If you don’t take the time to write out a plan of action, then your goals aren’t that important to you and you will most likely not even make it through January. Making changes, especially lifestyle changes, takes hard work and commitment. With a plan sketched out you will be able to use that as support to hold yourself accountable. Did you go to the gym when you said you would? Did you meal prep when you said you would? Did you take time for self development like you promised yourself you would do? No matter what your goal or lifestyle change is for the new year, write out a plan, commit and stick to it. I probably sound like a broken record right now but I truly want to see everyone reach their goals and optimal happiness.
Change can be a really scary thing and it is way to easy to fall back into the comforts of your old habits. Trust me, I can relate. Once you are able to break past that barrier of being scared, change becomes a lot easier to accept and you will start to see and feel the benefits of it. Your plan of action will be a great tool to use as accountability, but you might need more. Who is going to support you through your changes? Who is going to do it with you? Get your spouse or some friends on board and your chances of succeeding skyrocket!
A lot of people think salads are only a warm weather meal but surprise surprise, you can add winter season veggies to a bed of spinach and bam! You have a winter salad! If you can tolerate cheese I would recommend adding either goat cheese or blue cheese to this salad. Also, any dressing would be divine on it but I would recommend a sweeter vinaigrette.
P.S. if anyone would like to get me a holiday theme plate or bowl for Christmas, that would be cool 🙂
Roasted Root Vegetable Winter Salad
- 1-2 tblsp coconut oil, divided
- 4-6 oz rotisserie chicken
- 1 butternut squash, peel and cubed
- 1 – 2 beets, peeled and sliced
- 2-4 cups spinach
- 1-2 oz walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: cheese, craisins or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the butternut squash cubes with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and gently season with salt and pepper. Place the squash on a baking sheet and cook for 40 minutes tossing/flipping them over half way through. Repeat this process with the beets.
- Compile your salad with first placing desired amount of spinach on a plate or in a bowl, add the chicken, squash, beets, walnuts and any other desired toppings. Drizzle your favorite dressing over the top and enjoy!