Christmas is in six days! How did this happen? I feel like I was just stuffing my face at my family’s Thanksgiving feast and now I need to lock myself in a room and not come out until all the presents are wrapped for this weekend’s festivities. I probably won’t be able to come out until Christmas… I may have gone a tad overboard with online shopping this year. It’s just so easy! And then, Amazon adds that “buy now” button to make online shopping that much easier. They are geniuses.
But hey, we have a solid week before Christmas which means we have a solid week to stay consistent with our nutrition and workouts. Making better decisions leading up to Christmas will help you to make better decisions at your holiday gatherings. You will be feeling great from fueling your body with the proper nutrition and movement all week. Don’t forget to treat yourself, either. Fully enjoy the time with your family and friends and indulge in the things you love. Once Monday comes around, it is right back on track with healthy choices! Don’t let one weekend of celebration turn into a week or more of indulgences. There is a time and place to treat yourself and Christmas is definitely one of them.
I will be enjoying some indulgences as well, but am going to try not to go over board. Going overboard just leaves me feeling sluggish, bloated and a tad bit miserable and I just don’t have time for that! I have a few helpful tips to share that will help you have your cookie and eat it too. See what I did there?
- Stop eating when you are satisfied, not full
- Drink plenty of water all day long
- Start each morning with a healthy, nutrient dense meal
- Get up and move. This can be a walk with family, snowshoeing, skiing, snowboarding, living room workout, etc.
- Bring a healthy dish to pass
What’s your favorite Christmas cookie? Mine is by far Thumbprints, so I got the genius idea to create my own healthier recipe! I’m not going to lie, I was jumping up and down like a kid on Christmas morning when these came out perfectly! Make these, NOW!
Thumbprint Christmas Cookies
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup organic peanut butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar plus 1/4 cup for rolling
- 1/3 cup organic raw honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bag dark chocolate Hershey Kisses
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together all the dry ingredients except for the Hershey Kisses. Add in the wet ingredients and blend with a hand mixer until smooth. Place dough in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Place the 1/4 cup coconut sugar in a shallow bowl. Grease your hands and form the dough into small (about 1 inch) balls and roll the ball in the coconut sugar. Make sure the entire dough ball is coated with sugar and place them on the lined parchment paper cooking sheet leaving about 1-2 inches between each ball. Bake for 5-6 minutes. Remove from oven an immediately place a Hershey Kiss in the center of each cookie. Let cool. Continue process until you have used all of the dough. You should have 40-43 Thumbprint Cookies.